Operating with a stance of “Why not?” can be the perfect antidote to the beguiling, ever-tempting “No.”
“No” brings things to a halt, FAST. “No” reacts, rejects and forbids. “No” closes the discussion before the award-winning million-dollar idea can be shared.
Let’s consider some business uses for the “Why not?” approach. Why not..
- Decide to throw “Because we’ve always done it this way” to the wind?
- Switch gears mid-project to do the right thing?
- Try a pilot project with a new technology?
- Revisit the idea next week, next month, or next quarter?
- Invite others to the table and give them a chance to speak freely on any topic?
There will always, always be solid reasons not to do some thing. Why not feed optimism and hope, respond less cautiously, and change your entire operation?